Create Account

S69 Championship Week Due: March 12th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

7. +3 tpe - S69 milestones

[Image: Fantobens.gif]

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

darkness (+3 TPE, i hope)

Code:
6. Written, 2 TPE, Haiku Highlights  (5 words min.)
Rather than giving you a task where you do something boring like "write about your season" using things like "sentences and punctuation" I figured I could instead ask you to write a haiku about how your season went! A haiku is a three line poem where the first line is five syllables, the second is seven, and the third line is five again.

Tons of time in Box
But then traded to Quebec
Now a J Winner
(+2 TPE)

Code:
7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE

Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 7 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

+3 TPE https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3330589

Code:
15. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC! Tell me about your team! What are your expectations for your player? What teams are you watching out for this time around? Did last season's results surprise you?

While Jarrod Lakemore will technically be representing Great Britain in the IIHF, as a Junior player he'll see far more ice time on his WJC team, the British Isles team. The S68 draft class that Lakemore was a part of featured a healthy chunk of both British and Irish representatives, and this season they are all third year J players who are at the TPE cap for juniors, making this team very formidable. Two seasons ago, a very young British Isles team surprised everyone by finishing in second place following an upset of both UCORCAL and USA. This season they won't be sneaking up on anyone however, as they feature are fairly stacked roster that could very well be the one to finally dethrone DACH, who have dominated the WJC the past few seasons. This season and next season are the best chances for gold the team has had in some time and it would be a disappointment to not come away with gold in at least one of these seasons. (173 words, +3 TPE)

Code:
17. Written, 3 TPE, Water Logged (150 words min.)
The ocean wants a voice! If you had to make an IIHF hockey team out of ocean critters, which ones would be the best for a hockey team and why? Build your team with the intent to win! You aren't just there for fun! I want a tactical analysis of the ice hockey ability of sea creatures!

Most ocean creatures, while obviously quite adept at swimming, generally do not spend much, if any time on ice, so teaching them to skate could present a problem. This means one of the more obvious choices would be an ocean going animal that is also at home on ice, which leads us to the first obvious inclusion: a penguin. Agile and at home gliding on ice, penguins will boast speed on ice that will simply be unmatched by other creatures and they would make excellent wingers, often leaking away on breakaways or gliding easily past defenders. They do lack size however, so they would be centered by a dolphin. Dolphins are extremely intelligent and likely will be quick to learn how to easily move around the ice and would be a great playmaker from the center position as they likely will be able to read the ice better than the other animals. On defense we'll post two polar bears to hold down the fort. Size, aggression, an angry streak, and familiarity with ice mobility makes the polar bear a fearsome sight, one very few would be capable of getting past. Finally, in goal is a blue whale. Probably won't be very mobile but at 100 meters and 30 tons, does it really matter? Nothing is getting past this guy. (228 words, +3 TPE)

Code:
22. Written, 2 TPE, Hope and Hapiness (100 words min.)
I've asked this before, but since it may be my final time writing CW, I wanted to ask it again. It was one of my favourite questions to read responses to. Tell me something that happened recently that you enjoyed, something that brings you happiness, or something you have hope for in the future. It could be a huge thing like buying a house or a small thing like having fun with your lockerroom this season. I just want to give you a chance to write down something positive.

This season my player was traded from his first (and only, at the time) home, the St. Louis Scarecrows. This was the first locker room I had ever been a part of and was a team a felt a connection to as a team that had drafted me after I had fallen rather far in the player draft. Unfortunately after having a decent run and reaching the semi-finals in my first two seasons, this past season was very rough for St. Louis and the decision was made to enter a full rebuild, which meant most of the active players were traded for picks. I was one of the last to be traded so it was a bit sad to see my friends and teammates go, but eventually I found myself as the newest member of the QCC locker room. The people there were quite welcoming and helped me feel at home right away. Even better, we had a great run which ended in a championship, and now despite my bittersweet feelings about leaving St. Louis, I can't wait to try to defend our title in my last Junior season with QCC. (193 words, +2 TPE)

Citadelles  S68 - Jarrod Lakemore - C Stampede

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
heavy

Code:
Rather than giving you a task where you do something boring like "write about your season" using things like "sentences and punctuation" I figured I could instead ask you to write a haiku about how your season went! A haiku is a three line poem where the first line is five syllables, the second is seven, and the third line is five again.
Skates glide on the ice
Stick and puck, a game of skill
Score! The crowd cheers loud

Code:

Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 7 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.
milestones

[Image: fm4oNHu.png]    Aurora  norway  Raptors     [Image: YHC5qMO.png]
[Image: 47986_s.gif]

Task 1

Verification

Task 2

a. Both are equally impressive, but I think I would have to say the expansion route is a little more impressive to me. The amount of assets you start with is not great, so you have to make every move count. Whereas when you already have a bunch of players you can recoup assets as much as possible and get a little bit ahead in your rebuilding process.

b. I think you need to keep an eye on Rashford and really pressure him with the puck. I wouldn’t leave the guys scoring too open, but I would make sure that Rashford was covered. If the main guy distributing the puck is being shut down, you have a better chance of giving up less goals. He’s creating a lot of space and getting his teammates in scoring positions. If you shift this you make players uncomfortable and make it difficult for them to score.

c. Goalies are a strange breed, generally goalies like being tested as it keeps them sharp and active. I think seeing that much activity on a goalie shows that he’s on fire and really is striving in that situation. I think rather than peppering more shots on him, you have to take shots that might make him uncomfortable. Get a lot of traffic in front, shoot pucks from different angles, and just try to slowly make him do things he’s not used to.

Task 4

When I wasn’t in the playoffs the go to would be vacation. I’ve gone on vacation to places like Europe, where it’s a bit more active and walking and sight seeing and have also gone on vacations where I’m on a beach relaxing and doing nothing. Both are equally great, but I think that relaxation vacation is the way to go.

Normally I go with some teammates and our girlfriends, and I’ve also gone just with my girlfriend and it’s a great way to destress. You’re disconnected from the hockey world, you focus on nothing but relaxing and you make sure that you forget all about the season. When the time comes for training camp and getting ready for the next season then you get into that mindset, but for the time being, just relax and get away. This may not work for everyone, but it has definitely worked for me and it’s been great for times when the playoffs aren’t made or when they end earlier than expected.

Task 5

I feel like this shouldn’t really be a question, right? In normal circumstances I always choose the massive bear. But if there’s the option of an equally big monster with a hammer, who is also made of magma, I can’t see how a bear beats that, no matter what color he is.

Theoretically the forge magma monster can just swing away, keeping the bear at longer range than necessary. However, even if the bear manages to disarm the magma monster and get close enough, the thing is still made of magma. How can a bear possibly scratch/claw/bite this thing without doing significant damage to itself? I think this is a little more of a lopsided fight than what we saw last year, although I can’t blame it considering the team branding. Maybe the fact that this bear is godly means he could be immune to the heat/magma? That might make the fight fair, but I’m taking the magma monster. Only slight edge to the bear if the fight is in water.

Task 7

S69 Milestones

Task 18

Were the playoffs what I expected? Not really, because you always tend to assume the best teams will just win, so I am glad to see Philadelphia win the cup and for the friends I have on that team.

Perhaps the most honest answer to this was, I had no real expectations because I didn’t follow the playoffs. I was still in the SMJHL and was just more interested in that playoff run than the SHL playoff run. That being said, I’ll be making the jump the SHL next season, so perhaps I will be able to care a little more for my team going far than I did for anything this season. Granted I barely followed my own SMJHL season, so we’ll have to see how that turns out.

[Image: Otrebor13.gif]

[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]  [Image: gdppv5N.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2023, 08:40 AM by Zerg. Edited 3 times in total.)

Code:
Code:
CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each
correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below.
Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit.
Post your verification word in your CW post.

Verification word: kekw (3 TPE)

Code:
Code:
Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related
topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be
50+ words.

a. Both Winnipeg and Philadelphia have taken the long road of drafting
and development to find themselves in the Challenge Cup Finals. Winnipeg
in full scale rebuild, and Philadelphia in the expansion draft. Each
began nearly 10 seasons ago. From your point of view, which build is
more impressive? Full scale teardown to challenge cup, or expansion
draft to challenge cup?

b. Winnipeg's Mikko Rashford has been an unstoppable assist machine with
25 in 20 GP. If you're looking to shut down Winnipegs offense, who do
you target? Rashford, or goal scorers surrounding them? Do you double
down on guarding the scorers and letting a pass-first player take a
shot, or do you go heavy on the passer and hope nothing squeeks through?

c. Philadelphia's BASE PACK has made over 500 saves in 17 GP. If you're a
Winnipeg team looking for a weakness to exploit, do you think this is
one? Does this signify an exhausted goalie that you can pepper with
shots and eventually break the dam? Or is BASE PACK just an on-fire
goalie that you need to find another way around?

d. As always I ask... who you got? Usually when I analyze teams for this
segment I see a contrast in results or deployment or something I can
latch on to, but these look like remarkably similar teams at this point
in the playoffs. So who wins? Why?

a. I consider expansion draft to cup to be the more impressive route of the two, which is fitting because the Forge actually won. Plenty of teams in this league have won after tearing down and rebuilding a fresh core, but for an expansion team to win with what was largely their originally drafted core is rare. (56 words)

b. Definitely shut down Mikko Rashford. The goal scorers are only as dangerous as they are because Mikko can get the puck to them in extremely dangerous areas. Without him, the snipers are still threats, but threats your goalie should be able to handle as long as he can see the shots coming. Rashford throws that whole calculus off. (58 words)

c. BASE PACK has spent his whole career dreaming of exactly this. He is on fire. This is what goalies love: lots of shots that they save consistently. You cannot just volume shoot to beat this guy; he is not going to get tired; he is not going to run out of gas. You need to take him out of the zone, not just let him style on you. (68 words)

d. Philadelphia, because of BASE PACK. Winnipeg is a fine team, but when it comes time to clutch one win, hockey does have a single most important position. A goalie that's this on fire at this time of year always makes his team the most dangerous in the tournament. Unless Winnipeg can knock him off his horse, BASE PACK is going to ride this thing all the way to the cup. (70 words)

4 TPE total

Code:
Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, Chemistry Lesson (150 words min.)

Tell me about who your linemates were this year, and how the season went
playing together. Why do you work well together? Why don't you work
well together? If there was anyone on your team you don't play with but
you'd like to, who is it? Why? If you're a goalie, tell me about your
bond with your goaltending partner!

Colorado had two other goalies this season: Viktor Navolsky and Jason Fourium. Grzegorz carried most of the load by far, going so far as to push the league record in shots faced (but not break it), but he still had time to bond with his fellow goalies. Jason Fourium was obsessed with the number four. He didn't feel comfortable in his net until he'd faced and saved four consecutive shots. His mask design was split into quarters, and he always kept a quarter in his pocket even when on the ice. Grzegorz found his superstitions endearing as well as relatable. Viktor Navolsky was a bit more weird, but the other two still accepted him as one of their own. He had no superstitions whatsoever and insisted that nothing he did, no ritual he performed or charm he kept, could possibly influence his performance. The other two goalies took this to be a good luck charm of their own, a curse-breaker, and while Viktor thought that was silly, he could live with it.

(172 words, 3 TPE)

Code:
Code:

Rather than giving you a task where you do something boring like "write
about your season" using things like "sentences and punctuation" I
figured I could instead ask you to write a haiku about how your season
went! A haiku is a three line poem where the first line is five
syllables, the second is seven, and the third line is five again.

Grzegorz stands in net
It rains like shells at Verdun
Many shots against
(3 TPE)

Code:
Code:

Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and
then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the
person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks
milestones.

Milestones Link (3 TPE)

16 TPE total

[Image: zN6tB52.png]

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Both Winnipeg and Philadelphia have taken the long road of drafting and development to find themselves in the Challenge Cup Finals. Winnipeg in full scale rebuild, and Philadelphia in the expansion draft. Each began nearly 10 seasons ago. From your point of view, which build is more impressive? Full scale teardown to challenge cup, or expansion draft to challenge cup?
b. Winnipeg's Mikko Rashford has been an unstoppable assist machine with 25 in 20 GP. If you're looking to shut down Winnipegs offense, who do you target? Rashford, or goal scorers surrounding them? Do you double down on guarding the scorers and letting a pass-first player take a shot, or do you go heavy on the passer and hope nothing squeeks through?
c. Philadelphia's BASE PACK has made over 500 saves in 17 GP. If you're a Winnipeg team looking for a weakness to exploit, do you think this is one? Does this signify an exhausted goalie that you can pepper with shots and eventually break the dam? Or is BASE PACK just an on-fire goalie that you need to find another way around?
d. As always I ask... who you got? Usually when I analyze teams for this segment I see a contrast in results or deployment or something I can latch on to, but these look like remarkably similar teams at this point in the playoffs. So who wins? Why?

Not to take anything away from a successful rebuild, but that seems like the standard play to me, and is less impressive than an expansion draft turning itself into a legitimate contender. Rebuilds are so common, and are a sure thing when it comes to building a successful team, it just takes time and knowing when to start capitalizing on a window.
Always have to make the passer take the shot. Could result in some goals for them, but it’s the safest bet, to me. Put them in bad positions and low percentage angles and take away the passing option to force a bad shot or a pass that isn’t directly in a premium scoring position.
You can’t go into a series hoping a goalie is tired. You have to assume that they will bring their A game, and one doing this well is another big hurdle. Everything from offence to defence to goaltending needs scouted and planned around in a playoff series. Gambling that one of them just “stops working” is going to result in trouble and you’re probably going to be in for a rude awakening when the series starts.
The Philadelphia Forge, because I am on them. As I am writing this after the fact, I know the result, but going back and looking at it from a pre-series standpoint, I would trust the strong goaltending to hold and the Forge to be able to win some tight games. All you need is to take one game on the road, and it puts you in a very nice position to succeed.

Code:

Once called up early
My team was a contender
I have won the cup
Code:
18. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Congratulations, procrastinator!  Through your terrible time management skills, you’ve unlocked a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Is it exciting to have two completely new teams meet in the finals? What did you like or not like about this season?

The playoffs were extremely exciting to me, as I was on the Philadelphia Forge. I was pleasantly surprised every step of the way, having not picked my team to win in the predictions. Which is funny that I try not to pick the homer selection and it ends up being the right call. It’s always nice to look at the big picture and see new teams playing in the finals, rather than the same 3 or 4 teams that seem to always find themselves there. As for what I liked about this season? Well, I was called up a season early and ended up winning a championship, so that was pretty good.

Code:
20. Written / Graphic, 3 TPE, Seige Engine (150 words min.)
We all know what a seige engine is, and we all have a favourite one! If you had to design a seige engine based on your team's branding, what would it be? What would that seige weapon do? What would it look like? What are its advantages? As a graphic option, you can depict what it would look like in action!

The Philadelphia Forge siege engine is a powerful behemoth. At first glance, it appears to be a reinforced battering ram/siege tower with a roof and walls with metal added to it, but the interior is a shock to those who have never seen it. A fully functional forge is inside, with the hardest working smiths you’ve ever seen, pumping out weapons and armor as the battle rages on. Fast as lightning, they churn out arms as if it were a real time strategy just spawning at will. Soldiers can retrieve weapons and armor as theirs fail. This mobile forge is able to maneuver with the soldiers and act as cover from arrows and other projectile attacks from above. After battles it can replenish the items required by the soldiers. This thing is nuts and totally realistic. No need to wait for supply lines to bring in new gear because they have a seemingly infinite supply of crafting materials. Also soldiers are able to spend gold to upgrade during the battle here. They can buy the battle pass beforehand if they’d prefer.

Code:
22. Written, 2 TPE, Hope and Hapiness (100 words min.)
I've asked this before, but since it may be my final time writing CW, I wanted to ask it again. It was one of my favourite questions to read responses to. Tell me something that happened recently that you enjoyed, something that brings you happiness, or something you have hope for in the future. It could be a huge thing like buying a house or a small thing like having fun with your lockerroom this season. I just want to give you a chance to write down something positive.

Well to keep this SHL related, my team just won the S69 championship, which I personally find hilarious. I’ve won SHL cups before, but that was at the end of my player’s career and after being forced into free agency and losing my general interest in the league. This time I was paying attention and following along with my team. I was called up early, which was fun, and to actually win was a huge surprise to me. It was actually sort of nice to be in the team discord during sims and seeing everyone’s reactions to each goal. I was very happy for everyone on the team, more than myself, as winning and losing isn’t very important to me.

Code:

+3 TPE - Milestones

16/16

[Image: Flusso.png]
Sig by @Evil_AllBran

[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-10-2023, 06:08 PM by Lime. Edited 2 times in total.)

Code:

lime

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Both Winnipeg and Philadelphia have taken the long road of drafting and development to find themselves in the Challenge Cup Finals. Winnipeg in full scale rebuild, and Philadelphia in the expansion draft. Each began nearly 10 seasons ago. From your point of view, which build is more impressive? Full scale teardown to challenge cup, or expansion draft to challenge cup?
b. Winnipeg's Mikko Rashford has been an unstoppable assist machine with 25 in 20 GP. If you're looking to shut down Winnipegs offense, who do you target? Rashford, or goal scorers surrounding them? Do you double down on guarding the scorers and letting a pass-first player take a shot, or do you go heavy on the passer and hope nothing squeeks through?
c. Philadelphia's BASE PACK has made over 500 saves in 17 GP. If you're a Winnipeg team looking for a weakness to exploit, do you think this is one? Does this signify an exhausted goalie that you can pepper with shots and eventually break the dam? Or is BASE PACK just an on-fire goalie that you need to find another way around?
d. As always I ask... who you got? Usually when I analyze teams for this segment I see a contrast in results or deployment or something I can latch on to, but these look like remarkably similar teams at this point in the playoffs. So who wins? Why?

a. Full scale tear down to challenge cup is the most impressive in my opinion because it rarely actually goes the distance. 10 seasons is a long time and gms can leave and the team kind of forgets where its going and just turns into a mediocre team and ends up in another rebuild.
b. I would work on shutting down Rashford. I know from his time in the Newfoundland Berserkers that he is a beast of a player with the mentality to win and you aren't going to kill his team without going for the head so to speak. Once he is taken care of everything else will follow.
c. Base pack is tough to get through and its clear that volume alone is not enough to put a dent in his armor. You have to go for the high quality shots and get open in order to have a chance of getting one past him. I don't expect Base Pack to be bothered by a few more games of getting lit up.
d. I would say that unfortunately the Winnipeg Aurora have shown that they have a pattern of being choke artists. They have had big super teams before and all of the tpe but could not finish out the season by properly utilizing that power when it counts. I give it to the forge.

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Playoffs Shmayoffs (150 words min.)
Write about a time you didn't make the playoffs, and what you did to take your mind off it! Did you expect to miss the playoffs when it happened? Was it a shock? How did you take it? If you've never been on a team that missed the playoffs, tell me about an early exit you made instead.

I don't think I have ever missed the playoffs in my entire career so... I would say this season was a very disappointing exit. Getting swept in the first round when you want to be a contender is a tough pill to swallow. Buffalo is trying very hard to sneak into a cup but it just hasn't been working. It was especially annoying this season because it would not have been a sweep without the resim. Maybe we could have even made it to the conference finals if that resim didn't happen. I've been a part of some big comebacks before so you never know. All you can do is work on the future I guess. I hope next season we can manage a little bit of a cinderella run, I feel like Buffalo is overdue for a cup maybe. If the Aurora can't win a cup then surely its not just about the tpe.

Code:

not the best season
it looks like i'm declining
hope i don't die soon

Code:

Code:
13. Graphic, 1 TPE, Memeing Like It's 2008
Make a mid-2000's style advice animal meme that describes your teams' season results. I really can't get any more specific than that. This one's pretty loose. Also don't try to sneak in some new meme format. I'll know.

[Image: 7e1yqu.jpg]

total: 16

[Image: arTbD7O.png]

Germany Berserkers Stampede Stars Barracuda syndicate

Quote:1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
Verification: facts

Quote:2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Both Winnipeg and Philadelphia have taken the long road of drafting and development to find themselves in the Challenge Cup Finals. Winnipeg in full scale rebuild, and Philadelphia in the expansion draft. Each began nearly 10 seasons ago. From your point of view, which build is more impressive? Full scale teardown to challenge cup, or expansion draft to challenge cup?
I know it's sitting on the fence but I don't want to commit to a side, I think both teams have done an impressive job of building contenders. I remember when Philly came in to the league and they didn't necessarily go the full rebuild route. Every season I kept thinking, ah, they will have a drop off here soon and be forced to rebuild. But that hasn't really happened, in fact they just seem to keep getting stronger. Over here in WPG Ace, Rash and co have done a tremendous job. Not only drafting and developing the bulk of their core but they have done a masterful job of utilizing assets to bring in top players on friendly contracts. Hopefully we can pull together and finally get over that hump with a championship.

Quote:3. Written, 3 TPE, Chemistry Lesson (150 words min.)
Tell me about who your linemates were this year, and how the season went playing together. Why do you work well together? Why don't you work well together? If there was anyone on your team you don't play with but you'd like to, who is it? Why? If you're a goalie, tell me about your bond with your goaltending partner!
This season I mostly played with Spack Jarrow and Kaapo Kampainen, with myself, Blanchet, being their center. I think we had a pretty good season as a trio. We all averaged roughly around a point per game, Blanchet with 70, Jarrow with 64, and Kampainen with 59. We also all finished in the top half of the team for relative CF% and FF%, so we did a good job of driving the play as well. And this is all with us only playing on the 2nd PP unit with about 40s of powerplay time per game. One person Noel didn't play with this season was Gudmundur Kristjansson. He is a great vet and him and Noel played well together in the past. There's also Gonzo Gobbledygook, who is just a beast of a winger and he could have carried Noel nicely. Noel is happy to play with anyone on the team though, they all have great chemistry overall and doesn't feel like he has to play with any certain players in order to perform.

Quote:6. Written, 2 TPE, Haiku Highlights (5 words min.)

So close, yet so far
Another season of sad
Next time, we will win

Quote:7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE

Best CW prompt ever

Quote:18. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Congratulations, procrastinator! Through your terrible time management skills, you’ve unlocked a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Is it exciting to have two completely new teams meet in the finals? What did you like or not like about this season?
Here I am procrastinating after a Challenge Cup Finals loss. We faced a few major hurdles in the playoffs, fighting with NOLA to 7 and then also finally getting past Seattle in game 7 with Noel Blanchet scoring the OT winner. That was pretty special. We really thought this was our season to get it done after being a really strong team the last few seasons, but wasn't meant to be I guess. Some times the ol FHM just doesn't go your way. But Philly just really had a tremendous playoffs, beating Manhattan who had just had B2B finals, and then a strong Atlanta and NEW team to reach the finals. So good for them.

Quote:22. Written, 2 TPE, Hope and Hapiness (100 words min.)
We just adopted a kitten a couple of weeks ago from our local SPCA. He's a 5 month old boy named George. He's a cute little fella (like any other kitten), has endless energy for play, is super food motivated, and is a massive, massive cuddlebug. He constantly follows my girlfriend around and plops himself into her lap at any open opportunity. We also have a 5 year old girl cat named Dillie. At first she was not super impressed with the new guy invading her home, but she has since warmed up to him and now they're best pals chasing each other around the house. Part of the reason we wanted to get George was so she would have a friend to play with, so we're happy they're getting along.

[Image: jjfrankiejj.gif]
Credits to OrbitingDeath, Tweedle, Incite, Wasty, and Slothfacekilla for sigs!

Player Profile | Update Page
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2023, 08:12 PM by bbjygm. Edited 6 times in total.)

Code:

woopie!

Code:

I cannot block shots
When offense kicks so much ass.
Squandered at playoffs.

Code:

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3330239

Code:
20. Written / Graphic, 3 TPE, Seige Engine (150 words min.)
We all know what a seige engine is, and we all have a favourite one! If you had to design a seige engine based on your team's branding, what would it be? What would that seige weapon do? What would it look like? What are its advantages? As a graphic option, you can depict what it would look like in action!

The Renegade Trebuchet!
[Image: VbwHp2O.png]

Code:
21. Written / Graphic, 3 TPE, Startup (150 words min.)
Some out-of-their-mind venture capitalist gave you an insane amount of money to start your own hockey related business. What is it, and why do you want to start it? What need does it address? Does anything else like it exist? As a graphic option, create a very corporate looking power-point slide that pitches your busines to hyper business minded people.

[Image: LskUCoK.png]

Code:

I recently accepted a job offer for a fully remote position in my field. I'm definitely looking forward to that since during my brief experience with remote work when Covid started I enjoyed work more and had a healthier diet. Plus I look forward to having no actual commute time. I'm going to be able to help more with the kids if (when) they get unruly and take up much less time and gas to shuttle the kids to and from school. Plus, I get my first position with supervisory experience which I'm both nervous about and looking forward to. The couple jobs I've had on site with management duties have shown me I like to be able to help others accomplish tasks easier so I'm hoping I can have that some capability in my own field.

hodOOOOr'hOOOdoooooooor hoooodor hOOdOOORRRR, Hooooooodooooorrrr HoooooddddddddoooooooRRRR

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats
[Image: YZjkK9Q.png] PORTAL [Image: rwqM7d3.png]
Berserkers Elk Falcons Renegades Germany

Stats Pre-S53 || Stats S53+
[Image: yXVPZSm.png] [Image: updates2.png]
Outlaws Switzerland Wolfpack
S53 All-Star and Richan Trophy Nominee
S60 Jeff Dar Trophy Winner
Never forget
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2023, 01:56 AM by natedoeshockey. Edited 10 times in total.)

Code:
1.CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

patyatime

+3 TPE

Code:

I win no awards
But we upset Chicago
I guess I'll take it

+2 TPE

Code:
5. Written, 3 TPE, Fire and Light (150 words min)

Last season I loved the anthropormorphic boats vs. bulls question because people came up with some really fun answers to read, so I'm going to ask it again with the Forge and the Aurora, even though these teams' have less concrete branding. Tell me who wins in a fight: an enormous god bear made of colourful rays of light, or a massive magma monster with a giant hammer. The arena and the rules of the fight can be whatever you desire. Get creative!

I feel like this question was tailor-made for me. As a WoW player since 2005, I am infinitely familiar with massive magma monsters with giant hammers, obviously referring to Ragnaros and Hand of Sulfuras. Given that this was the final raid boss in the first tier of raiding ever introduced in World of Warcraft, and ended up not being very difficult. Therefore, I believe that an enormous god bear made of colorful rays of light would win in this fight. I am not sure if I have ever spent time fighting a god bear, but it would not surprise me. I just cannot imagine that being weaker than Ragnaros. I mean, the old gods in Warcraft lore are pretty powerful, but they are more Lovecraftian in nature. I assume that even a lesser god, or maybe a the god bear being a loa, would make it infinitely more powerful than a large magma elemental. I am really hoping this is the nerdiest answer to this question so that my time in playing WoW is actually useful for something outside of the life skills I learned from playing it.

+3 TPE

Code:

S69 Milestones

+3 TPE

Code:
17. Written, 3 TPE, Water Logged (150 words min.)

The ocean wants a voice! If you had to make an IIHF hockey team out of ocean critters, which ones would be the best for a hockey team and why? Build your team with the intent to win! You aren't just there for fun! I want a tactical analysis of the ice hockey ability of sea creatures!

I am not quite sure what you mean by an ocean critter, but I have to imagine that starting with goaltending, I would take some type of whale that would just take up the whole net, or potentially a walrus like in that one commercial from forever ago, since a walrus could actually function on the ice. The other five players would all be polar bears, as they are technically marine mammals and could function on ice as well, quite effectively. If we are talking about LITERAL ocean creatures and just for funsies, I would still go whale for goaltending. However, I think for the forwards group, I would take some type of large shark, mostly because I think it would be cool. I have seen some pretty terrifying crustaceans, mostly recently at the Dallas World Aquarium, and I have to think tossing something like that on defense would be quite scary. Or maybe some manatees, because you can never go wrong with manatees.

+3 TPE

Code:

I guess writing as myself again, but recently the girlfriend and I were up in Dallas. Originally, I bought tickets to a Stars game to see my beloved Blue Jackets, but the team has had a rough season and Johnny Hockey sat out that game. I ended up with a Jason Robertson Reverse Retro as a Christmas present and a Miro Heiskanen home jersey and we had a really good time. We just really enjoyed the city and eachother's company, and it was a nice time. We had a lot of good food, so that was cool, but man...Dallas traffic sucks lol. The next weekend, we went to The Wonder Years tour with Hot Mulligan and Carly Cosgrove and that was pretty fucking great, if you're into that sort of music like I am (and Kristen, to a lesser extent). I also landed a mentorship and have been applying for jobs to finally try and start my life, so that's been fun, too. I don't know, man, I'm just enjoying the simple things, I guess.

+2 TPE

PROJECTED TOTAL: 16/16 TPE

Lore: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5
[Image: 65011_s.gif]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png]   [Image: HKi05IH.png]   [Image: gs89eGV.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2023, 11:54 PM by Toivo. Edited 3 times in total.)

Code:
+4 tpe
a. Both teams rise to the top of the SHL is quite impressive. Many will look at the expansion draft to challenge cup as the more impressive route, and I agree, but there is a lot to be said about Winnipeg’s transformation and rise to the top of the West. A fullscale breakdown might be harder, depends on the context of the league at the time.
b. I think you have to go after the goal scorers. Targeting the playmaker makes sense, but Winnipeg could likely generate some of those set ups from other linemates. So go after the goal scorers and see if the playmaker is able to make some scoring while the usual goal scorers are tied up with the defense.
C. This question is textbook “keep the coach up at night” material. One might think, just keep firing and the goalie can not save them all. But I think you might run the risk of gravitating to the gambler’s fallacy. It’s possible that the goalie shuts out four games straight, however unlikely the odds of that happening are.
d. Winnipeg had the most impressive regular season with 52 wins. Their goal difference was +133, whereas Philadelphia’s was +109. Based on the regular season, I would go with Winnipeg in this series. The top team in the league, coming from the West. Playoffs can be a different animal so it will be interesting to see how the top regular season team fares.

Code:
5. Written, 3 TPE, Fire and Light (150 words min)
+3 tpe

We have a Forge and Aurora doing battle, this time not on the ice but actually duking it out mono y mono. I am having a challenging time seeing how the Aurora would pull off the win here. The Forge, if smart, will line of sight the Aurora by hiding inside a factory or something. This gives the Forge a distinct advantage over the Aurora. The Aurora, should it be so brave, could try sneaking into the factory housing the Forge, but I do not think it will play out in the Aurora’s favor. Now, should the Aurora catch the Forge slipping, and the Forge sneaks its head outside the factory to see what’s up, then I have zero doubt the Aurora will rain down some hell onto the Forge. If the fight is outside of the factory, then it is a totally different dynamic. Thus, the location of the battle is the important deciding factor. Like, fighting a shark on land vs. being in the water, e.g.

Code:
+3 tpe
Milestones

Code:
15. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)
  +3 tpe
Team Switzerland has been putting in work during practice and training ahead of this upcoming IIHF tournament. There is a lot of talent on this Team Switzerland locker room. I often have the Swiss as dark horse favorites to win the Gold after doing so not too long ago. I feel strongly that all nations have been getting better and better as time passes. Some teams may look like they are getting thin on paper, but the quality of the top stars keep them relevant and mean that any team can win any given matchup. Sure, the Swiss and other top nations are likelier to win the whole tournament than others, but you can not discount all of these other nations. Hopefully my player decides to show up like he has never done so in the IIHF tournament. Only 5 points in the last few tournaments, so hopefully my player doubles his points total in this tournament by increasing the goal scoring.

Code:
20. Written / Graphic, 3 TPE, Seige Engine (150 words min.)
+3 tpe

The Panther siege engine strikes fear into all the arenas that we are going to be sieging and taking over. Now work with me while you picture a big ol’ wooden box with wheels and then a fiberglass bodied Panther mounted on top. Other teams will see this siege engine and think: oh there isn’t anything to worry about there. Then when we are at the doors, the Panther will open its mouth, as if it were roaring, and then the heat will come. That Panther will spit fire all over the arena. Imagine playing hockey in an arena that is one fire with a Panther at the gates spewing fire. I don’t think that team will have much luck keeping the ice refrigeration going smooth. The Panther siege engine’s strengths are: speed, aggression, ferocity, and tenacity. The simplicity of the siege engine will cause opponents to get caught off guard, this being perhaps the key advantage of Los Angeles’ siege engine.

Reed Kobo - Winger - #33
Player Page- Update Page
Elijah Jones - Winger - #33 Retired
Player Page - Update Page
Toivo Kosonen - Defenseman - #33 Retired
Player PageUpdate Page
[Image: 2ew9foG.png][Image: rnSNsnU.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2023, 12:53 AM by NJBadApple.)

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max
Verification word: applepie

b. Generally speaking, you want to neutralize the teammates of superstar players to make them ineffective.  Just look at what teams try to do with Ovechkin in the NHL; he's always open, and they focus on the rest of the team.  If I was Winnipeg, I would've focused on shutting everyone else down so Rashford would have to focus on doing literally everything himself.

Code:
Words: 50+

6. Written, 2 TPE, Haiku Highlights  (5 words min.)
Scoring lots of goals,
Always passing to McHits,
Re-sim fucked us good.

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3330400

15. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)
I think this year's IIHF is going to be in line with recent tournaments, just in the sense that the heavy hitters haven't really changed much.  As team Ireland continues to grow, we're still a few seasons from really being a contender for the gold but we're making solid progress.  A lot of active players from S67 class and onwards, so maybe sometime in the early to mid S70's we'll be one of the strongest international teams in the competition.  For McBride, I'm strangely already one of the strongest players on the team, sitting right around 1500tpe.  But as I said before, the support just isn't there outside of a couple of other players so I'm not really holding my breath for a massive performance.  Looking at the first day of pre-season play, it's interesting to see France performing so well.. so that will be something to watch.  Also seeing Japan and USA down in the standings is a bit of an eye opener.

Code:
Words: 150+

The entire playoffs went from something that was almost expected from a lot of people's predictions, to something that I think almost nobody would've guessed.  Philadelphia is an extremely strong team, led by Evil Allbran, but I really don't think they're the strongest fit for a championship this season.  The re-sim through everything into a tizzy; the Forge went from being on the brink of elimination in the first round, to becoming the eventual champions.  Edmonton taking out Calgary in the first round was a big upset of course, along with Tampa Bay giving Atlanta a real run for their money. 

Code:
Words: 100+

I've (relatively) recently gotten back into collecting hockey cards again, so it's always a great pleasure to buy some more or just catalogue what I currently have.  It's a big money suck though, and there's simply not enough of that to support it sometimes.  I've also gotten back into the habit of playing pickup hockey each week, so that's always a good time.  Full body workout while playing my favorite game.  Hoping this is a pretty big year for me at work, I'll find out in a few months if I'm going to get a promotion or not.  Otherwise it's just life with a toddler at my house.

Code:
Words: 100+

Player Page || Update Page

[Image: a5C9JXf.png]

CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER
MONTREAL IMPACT FOREVER

1.CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max
Verification word: go leafs

4. Written, 3 TPE, Playoffs Shmayoffs (150 words min.)
Surprisingly Mats Manrer has never missed the SHL playoffs in his career (for s long as I can remember). So I will talk about what Marner would do. One thing Marner may do after missing the playoffs is taking some time off to rest and recuperate. The regular season is grueling, with players often playing multiple games each week, and missing the playoffs means that they have some extra time to recover from any injuries or strains that they may have sustained during the season. Some players may use this time to travel or spend time with their families, while others may simply take a break from the rigors of professional hockey. Another option for Marner is to continue practising and training. While Marner may not have the same level of competition and intensity as the postseason, Marner can still work on his skills and conditioning in order to improve his game for the following season. Marner would choose to work with coaches or trainers to develop specific areas of his game, such as speed, strength, or accuracy.

5. Written, 3 TPE, Fire and Light (150 words min)
In a hypothetical scenario where an enormous god bear and a massive magma monster with a giant hammer engage in a fight, it is difficult to determine who would emerge as the victor. Both entities possess unique attributes and abilities that could potentially aid them in defeating the other. The enormous god bear is a formidable opponent due to its sheer size and strength. Being a god bear, it likely possesses supernatural abilities that could make it even more dangerous. Bears are known for their incredible strength, agility, and sharp claws and teeth, which make them effective hunters and fighters. In addition, the god bear's fur could potentially provide it with a level of protection against attacks, making it even harder to defeat. On the other hand, the massive magma monster with a giant hammer is also an intimidating force. Its size and strength could potentially rival that of the god bear, and its ability to manipulate magma could give it a significant advantage. If the magma monster is able to channel its power effectively, it could potentially melt or damage the god bear's fur, making it more vulnerable to attacks.

+3 tpe: https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3330879

21. Written / Graphic, 3 TPE, Startup (150 words min.)
There are numerous ideas for hockey-related businesses that could be successful in today's market. However, one idea that stands out is the creation of an online marketplace that connects hockey players, coaches, and fans with high-quality, affordable hockey equipment and merchandise. Hockey is an expensive sport to play, with equipment costs often running into the thousands of dollars. Many players, especially those at the amateur and youth levels, struggle to afford the gear they need to play the game safely and effectively. This is where an online marketplace could come in, offering a wide variety of equipment and apparel at affordable prices. In addition to providing affordable equipment, this online marketplace could also offer a range of personalized services for players, such as equipment fittings and recommendations. By offering expert advice and personalized service, the marketplace could create a loyal customer base that returns again and again for their hockey needs. Another potential area of focus for this business could be the sale of customized team gear and apparel. Many amateur and youth hockey teams struggle to find affordable options for customized uniforms and jerseys, which can be a major expense. By offering custom designs and affordable pricing, this marketplace could help teams look and feel like professionals without breaking the bank.

I really enjoyed going on vacation to Trinidad and Tobago during my Christmas vacation back in January. It was a lot of fun brining in the New Year with my old university roommate who is from Trinidad and Tobago. So we got to stay with his family and see where he grew up. It was also fun having lots of beach days and going boating out to different islands off the coast of the country. There was also so much good food and it was a great experience going down to his family’s beach house on a golf course in Tobago We also went on a lot of cool nature hikes as there were many forests and cliffs to explore.

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars

Code:

coffee

Code:

Building an organization from the ground up and taking them to a Challenge Cup within a decade is by far the more impressive feat. You start off at an automatic disadvantage since all of the best talent the league has to offer is going to be protected by the already established teams. So, you need to build the bones of your organization on the blue-collar type players. Then you need to draft perfectly right off the bat. One bad draft stalls your window, unlike it would for an established team. To hit the mark and succeed in a franchise’s infancy is unbelievable.
(102)

Code:

You shut down the goal scorers. Pass first players tend to get in their own heads fairly often and panic when they have that open shooting lane. A goal scorer is always going to be ready to have the game on their stick and be able to perform under the pressure. A gifted passer like Rashford is going to be thrown off balance so to speak when their game is flipped on its head.
(74)

Code:

BASE PACK is just fire incarnate. This is nothing you can do when a goalie is playing at the level that PACK is. To say he is in the zone would be an understatement. Game in, game out, he is playing some of the best hockey on his young career and it is going to take some kind of wizardry to get the upper hand.
(65)

Code:
d. As always I ask... who you got? Usually when I analyze teams for this segment I see a contrast in results or deployment or something I can latch on to, but these look like remarkably similar teams at this point in the playoffs. So who wins? Why?

The Philadelphia Forge win because they will have the entire collective fury of the Philadelphia faithful to deal with if they blow the Cinderella run that they have going for them. The fans are yearning for the Challenge Cup and sacrifices will be made if that glorious trophy does not find its way to Philadelphia this season.
(57)

Code:
6. Written, 2 TPE, Haiku Highlights  (5 words min.)

A much-hyped season
Play like garbage the whole time
Good thing Forge are good

Code:

Claim for 3

Code:
Congratulations, procrastinator!  Through your terrible time management skills, you’ve unlocked a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Is it exciting to have two completely new teams meet in the finals? What did you like or not like about this season?

Well, seeing that the Philadelphia Forge won the whole dang thing this season I would say that their were quite a few unexpected surprises that I am more than happy about. The Forge went from never advancing past the first round to winning it all. It is beyond exciting to have two new teams in the finals after literal years of the SHL working on parity. We are finally (hopefully) seeing the fruits of the hard labor of everyone in HO to make this league more enjoyable for everyone. Seeing surprise winners emerge is something that should energize every person in the league and I am not just saying that because the Forge won. The thing I like most about this season is the emergence of new teams as serious threats. Philly, New England, Montreal, and Winnipeg all are proof of positive change coming.
(144)

Code:

I just recently started taking up archery and it has been dope as hell. My kid has been shooting Olympic style for close to a year now and I finally could not stand sitting on the sidelines any more as of a couple weeks ago. Rather than shoot Olympic style, I am learning traditional Korean style archery. Out of a couple arrows loosed, I have had maybe five decent shots but it is a fun way to kill an hour or two on the weekend and I get to spend some quality time with the kid sharing in something he enjoys. It has been the highlight of the year so far.
(111)

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

GM Pass

[Image: SouthPaw.gif]