Create Account

The Quintuplets turn five (minus one) - Ask Us Anything!
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2024, 05:35 AM by Carpy48. Edited 4 times in total.)

Hello SHL,

today is the 5th site anniversary of the Quintuplets! Just in case you don't remember what that was all about, check the 2nd and 3rd anniversary posts. Unfortunately, we lost one member (@Julio Tokolosh) on the way here to inactivity, so there's only 4 of us left.

All four of us were originally members of the S47 class and we're all on our second players right now. 

If you have no idea who we are, here is a short summary about our current players:

@Carpy48 - Rhett "Shaggy" Carpet - S70 - G -  Aurora
@bbjygm - Hodor - S67 - RD -  Renegades
@hotdog - Philippe-Eko Eel - S66 - RD -  Inferno
@SDCore - Matsmith Söderberg-Tremblay - S65 - LW -  Aurora

Feel free to ask us anything you like!

02-15-2024, 04:31 PMbbjygm Wrote: who's your favorite member and why is it @bbjygm?

Carpy48: The answer is: Hodor. Next question please.

02-15-2024, 04:37 PMOrbitingDeath Wrote: What was so bad about that day that all of you joined this place somehow?

bbjygm: I had some downtime at work and saw the reddit advertisement post for the SHL. I had recently gotten into fantasy hockey with friends and was intrigued about managing a fantasy player rather than a fantasy team so I decided to try it out. Now I'm trapped and can't leave.

Carpy48: My memory isn't as good as bbjygm's, but it had something to do with browsing reddit. That much I can remember and it was late in the evening. First I thought it would be comparable to ZenGM hockey which I had played before when I was bored, but it really wasn't.

02-16-2024, 10:56 AMPatty Wrote: Now that we're seasons removed from the change.  What y'all's opinion on on the 9 season regression and the updated scale.  Vs what it was when you first came in

SDCore: Personally I think the change was for the better. Careers in STHS were boring, esp with 30 season careers. I think we are in a good spot, it could maybe a bit more aggressive tbh. Don't kill me everyone

Carpy48: I haven't experienced regression yet with my new player, but I didn't like that it became so aggressive towards the end of my previous player's career. Since I don't plan to have such a long career this time, I'll probably be okay with it. I try to max-earn anyway and just don't plan ahead much. Going slightly off-topic: what I always find difficult are big changes (any of them) when you're in the middle of your career. Like the change from STHS to FHM6 while I was in my so-called 'prime' back then and then another change to FHM8 later. If you could play your whole career with one system that'd much better.

bbjygm: My opinion is highly biased, I wish I could've gotten peak TPE when peaking in the 2,200's. If it's healthy for the league, though, I can back that. The scale is fine, too, as you can level quickly when you first join and still get a couple stats up during the season when you've topped your stats. When I came in wish STHS, people could stay with a full build for multiple seasons while only regressing directly from their bank of TPE. I missed the chance to be one of those, but I can see how it would make things fairly boring once you worked hard to max earn.

02-16-2024, 03:46 PMACapitalChicago Wrote: To all,

Favorite season in the league you've been a part of?

SDCore: This is really tough, I'd have to go with S57 winning the first cup with that crew in Chicago was so much fun... Some of my best friends were on that team, followed closely by S64 and getting Darian his first ever SHL cup was a pretty special moment.

Carpy48: S58 when we had our best season with Toronto during my time there. It just felt really unique when we came so close to the finals. The end just sucked. Up until last season that was my biggest SHL success, but Winnipeg made the finals during my first season with them so that's something I need to beat now. Since I still haven't won a cup and our S58 Toronto team was just so special, that's my pick.

bbjygm: Season: probably 53 because that was the season New England's contention window was opening and we were gaining traction

02-16-2024, 03:46 PMACapitalChicago Wrote: If you got to design your dream branding and location what would it be?

SDCore: Easy. San Diego and either Kook or Tidal. Both are surf themed but a bit more unique. Nobody should be surprised by the location.

Carpy48: We still aren't allowed to pick cities in Europe, are we? If not then my location pick is Nashville, but I have no idea about a branding. I feel I lack creativity for that.

bbjygm: Brand: I haven't really dreamt of branding before. I'm not sure about city, but the brand might be honey badgers and names could include "badgers," "ferocious," "tenascious," "brash," really whatever sounds cool, works with the city, and isn't cringy

hotdog: I would probably do something like the Atlanta Inferno and our logo would feature fire colors and a central phoenix, something like this maybe  Inferno

02-16-2024, 03:46 PMACapitalChicago Wrote: Whats the hardest thing you've ever had to do on the site?

SCore: The STHS to FHM switch, being commish during that time was quite challenging.

Carpy48: Endure the Great Lakes era as a member of Toronto. Or perhaps to not comment on certain topics and stay diplomatic in order to avoid drama.

bbjygm: Hardest: probably auditing, it was tough to scour an entire update thread while keeping track of when rules changed and basically mock updating the player every week they've updated and keep up motivation to get it done in a timely manner

02-16-2024, 03:49 PMslothfacekilla Wrote: Y'all didn't turn Julio into a burger did you?

Carpy48: Maybe we should have?

hotdog: a hotdog

bbjygm: don't look too closely at the next burger you eat...

02-17-2024, 03:59 PMReno Wrote: How has it felt to see things change over time from when you started to now?

Carpy48: The league has grown a lot - in many different ways. In general processes have improved to make it easier for newer users to learn how everything works and also for existing users to make the league more enjoyable. We have lost some league jobs, but we have lots of new jobs that didn't exist back then. What was more difficult is to have one player exist through all these different 'eras'. When we started it was still STHS with 50 games a season, then it became FHM and then another version of FHM and now we have 66 games. If you're trying to compare your career to other players' careers before and after it's nearly impossible. The others can probably describe it better how it was from a GM's perspective, because a lot of things have changed there too.

bbjygm: It always feels a little weird, like things are rushing sometimes, but looking back the events seem appropriate and not out of the ordinary. Just makes you think about how history never feels like it's being made in the present until awhile after when you reflect on things

hotdog: As in every domain, reflecting on the passage of time fills me with a deep sadness. But I do think it's cool to have observed our personal journeys and the ways in which stamps on the league have stuck around long term - from the four of us in particular. e.g., things that I implemented as PT director, the existence of atlanta, carpy's legacy with their first player and running graphics, corey's tenures as commish and chi GM and whatever other useless bullshit he's done, bbjygm's introduction of the pt tracking bot and his revolution of the SHL fantasy system - each of the four of us has had significant influences on the league that persist to this day and it's cool to look back on that contextualized within the fact that we all signed up on the same day!

Q&A is over. Thanks to everyone who asked us some questions.

Ready for grading. Split pay evenly between us 4.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

who's your favorite member and why is it @bbjygm?

hodOOOOr'hOOOdoooooooor hoooodor hOOdOOORRRR, Hooooooodooooorrrr HoooooddddddddoooooooRRRR

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats
[Image: YZjkK9Q.png] PORTAL [Image: rwqM7d3.png]
Berserkers Elk Falcons Renegades Germany

Stats Pre-S53 || Stats S53+
[Image: yXVPZSm.png] [Image: updates2.png]
Outlaws Switzerland Wolfpack
S53 All-Star and Richan Trophy Nominee
S60 Jeff Dar Trophy Winner
Never forget

What was so bad about that day that all of you joined this place somehow?

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)

02-15-2024, 04:31 PMbbjygm Wrote: who's your favorite member and why is it @bbjygm?

The answer is: Hodor. Next question please.

sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]

02-15-2024, 04:37 PMOrbitingDeath Wrote: What was so bad about that day that all of you joined this place somehow?

I had some downtime at work and saw the reddit advertisement post for the SHL. I had recently gotten into fantasy hockey with friends and was intrigued about managing a fantasy player rather than a fantasy team so I decided to try it out. Now I'm trapped and can't leave.

hodOOOOr'hOOOdoooooooor hoooodor hOOdOOORRRR, Hooooooodooooorrrr HoooooddddddddoooooooRRRR

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats

Never forget

My memory isn't as good as @bbjygm's, but it had something to do with browsing reddit. That much I can remember and it was late in the evening. First I thought it would be comparable to ZenGM hockey which I had played before when I was bored, but it really wasn't.

Stars Lions Berserkers

Now that we're seasons removed from the change. What y'all's opinion on on the 9 season regression and the updated scale. Vs what it was when you first came in

[Image: Cracker_Pizza_sig.png?ex=6516546d&is=651...bb4003576&]
[Image: pride23gif.gif]

To all,

If you got to design your dream branding and location what would it be?

Whats the hardest thing you've ever had to do on the site?

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

Y'all didn't turn Julio into a burger did you?

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

02-16-2024, 10:56 AMPatty Wrote: Now that we're seasons removed from the change.  What y'all's opinion on on the 9 season regression and the updated scale.  Vs what it was when you first came in

Personally I think the change was for the better. Careers in STHS were boring, esp with 30 season careers. I think we are in a good spot, it could maybe a bit more aggressive tbh. Don't kill me everyone

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

I haven't experienced regression yet with my new player, but I didn't like that it became so aggressive towards the end of my previous player's career. Since I don't plan to have such a long career this time, I'll probably be okay with it. I try to max-earn anyway and just don't plan ahead much. Going slightly off-topic: what I always find difficult are big changes (any of them) when you're in the middle of your career. Like the change from STHS to FHM6 while I was in my so-called 'prime' back then and then another change to FHM8 later. If you could play your whole career with one system that'd much better.

Stars Lions Berserkers

02-16-2024, 03:46 PMACapitalChicago Wrote: To all,

If you got to design your dream branding and location what would it be?

Whats the hardest thing you've ever had to do on the site?

This is really tough, I'd have to go with S57 winning the first cup with that crew in Chicago was so much fun... Some of my best friends were on that team, followed closely by S64 and getting Darian his first ever SHL cup was a pretty special moment.

Easy. San Diego and either Kook or Tidal. Both are surf themed but a bit more unique. Nobody should be surprised by the location.

The STHS to FHM switch, being commish during that time was quite challenging.

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

02-16-2024, 03:46 PMACapitalChicago Wrote: Favorite season in the league you've been a part of?

S58 when we had our best season with Toronto during my time there. It just felt really unique when we came so close to the finals. The end just sucked. Up until last season that was my biggest SHL success, but Winnipeg made the finals during my first season with them so that's something I need to beat now. Since I still haven't won a cup and our S58 Toronto team was just so special, that's my pick.

02-16-2024, 03:46 PMACapitalChicago Wrote: If you got to design your dream branding and location what would it be?

We still aren't allowed to pick cities in Europe, are we? If not then my location pick is Nashville, but I have no idea about a branding. I feel I lack creativity for that.

02-16-2024, 03:46 PMACapitalChicago Wrote: Whats the hardest thing you've ever had to do on the site?

Endure the Great Lakes era as a member of Toronto. Or perhaps to not comment on certain topics and stay diplomatic in order to avoid drama.

Stars Lions Berserkers

02-16-2024, 03:49 PMslothfacekilla Wrote: Y'all didn't turn Julio into a burger did you?

Maybe we should have?

Stars Lions Berserkers

My opinion is highly biased, I wish I could've gotten peak TPE when peaking in the 2,200's. If it's healthy for the league, though, I can back that. The scale is fine, too, as you can level quickly when you first join and still get a couple stats up during the season when you've topped your stats. When I came in wish STHS, people could stay with a full build for multiple seasons while only regressing directly from their bank of TPE. I missed the chance to be one of those, but I can see how it would make things fairly boring once you worked hard to max earn.

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats

Never forget